Posting Title: Environmental Technician II (3057)
Job Title: Asbestos Technician II
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in: Environmental, Facilities, Geotechnical, and Engineering Services. Over our history, Terracon has achieved significant expansion through both internal growth and acquisitions. Terracon currently has more than 5,500 employees in 145 offices and 39 states nationwide. Terracon’s growth is due to dedicated employee owners who are responsive to clients, provide quality services, and take advantage of opportunities in the marketplace. By combining our national resources with specific local area expertise, we consistently overcome obstacles and deliver the results our clients expect. We are looking for the right candidate to join the Denver Office and the #1 Asbestos Abatement and Design consulting company in the country!
Asbestos Technician Job Description:
The right candidate will conduct initial building inspections, asbestos and lead abatement oversight and assist project managers with industrial hygiene inspections, and Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs). Job duties with building inspections include collection of field documentation, air and bulk samples, review of laboratory documents, and data reporting. As an Air Monitoring Specialist, the candidate will be responsible for abatement oversight including contractor interaction, operation of field air monitoring equipment, collection of field documentation and on-site analysis of air samples by Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM). Job duties with industrial hygiene inspections include performance of noise surveys, radon surveys, microbial investigations with sampling, and data reporting. Although the primary focus of this position will be industrial hygiene and asbestos work, the performance of standard environmental work will be performed to include: Phase 1 ESAs including site visits and data review, testing and sampling of environmental media to include in air, groundwater, sediment, and soils. If required, the candidate will be responsible for cleaning and maintaining field monitoring equipment. Candidate will be required to adhere to strict company health and safety standards.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
Performs standardized and sometimes complex field tests as directed and/or special inspections as required.
- Lead sampling efforts for suspect asbestos-containing building materials in accordance with AHERA guidelines.
- Sampling of painted coatings (via paint chip or XRF) in residential, commercial and industrial settings.
- Perform air monitoring and visual inspections during asbestos abatement projects.
- Calibrate field monitoring equipment such as PID or combustible gas indicator.
- Sampling for noise levels within industrial settings.
- Sampling suspect microbial growth and indoor air quality.
- Installation and maintenance of remediation systems.
- Assist field staff with obtaining sediment, soil, and groundwater samples.
- Conduct groundwater monitoring well sampling.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 3-6 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Certification in field of expertise required. Examples include:
- Certified Asbestos Building Inspector (CABI)
- Asbestos Air-Monitoring Specialist (AMS)
- Lead Paint Inspector
- Mold Technician
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science or related scientific field
- Other national, regional, state, and local environmental related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.